- Who does What
We have organized ourselves in working groups. for our main research activities and on going projects, below we list the internal composition and consistence of the individual working groups. For each working group, a rapporteur coordinates (more or less) the activities. Write to her/him if you need further information.
Current main research topics ...
- Landslide mapping, identification of landslides and production of landslide inventory maps, including archive, geomorphological, event and multi-temporal inventories, using a variety of techniques and methods and in different climatic and physiographical settings.
- Susceptibility, hazard and risk assessment, definition and experimentation of methods, procedures and tools for the construction of landslide susceptibility, hazard and risk models, and associated maps and terrain zonations. Includes models to estimate the risk posed by landslides and floods to the population of Italy.
- Historical data, collection and analysis of information on historical landslides and floods for risk evaluation and temporal analysis.
- Rainfall thresholds, design and implementation of methods for the definition of rainfall thresholds, and their implementation in landslide warning systems.
- Physical models, design and implementations of physically-based, distributed models for the spatial and temporal prediction of shallow failures.
- Erosion, research on erosion at different spatial scales and in different physiographic environments.
- Landslides on Mars, an effort to map landslides on Mars, and to investigate the statistics of landslide sizes on Mars, in comparison with the statistics of terrestrial slope failures.
Specific projects ...
- LAMPRE, EU Project to execute innovative research and technological developments to increase GMES limited operational capacity to cope with triggered landslide events and their consequences, in Europe and elsewhere. LAMPRE enhances landslide risk mitigation/preparedness efforts and post-event-landslide recovery and reconstruction activities, in highly vulnerable geographic and geologic regions.
- DORIS, EU Project to construct an advanced downstream service for the detection, mapping, monitoring and forecasting of ground deformations, including landslides and ground subsidence, at different temporal and spatial scales and in various physiographic and environmental settings.
- SANF, a research and development project of the National Department for Civil Protection for the design and the implementation of a nation-scale warning system for the forecasting of the possible occurrence of landslides induced by rainfall.
- CHANGES, EU Marie Curie project on landslide risk assessment.
- COSMO, a project of the Italian Space Agency (ASI) for the exploitation of the COSMO-SkyMed satellites.
- CARG, a project of the Italian National Geological Survey for the production of digital geological databases and associated maps.
General services and research support ...
- GIS and Databases, Geographical Information System management and exploitation, and the design and maintenance of a variety of databases to support all our research project.
- IT, Information Technology services
Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence win championships (Michael Jordan)